Over the past decade, options for media entertainment have grown astoundingly. Technological advancements, stronger internet connectivity and newer alternatives to television watching have shifted our viewing habits in many significant ways, and for good reason.
Today people of most ages prefer to stream content. The convenience of viewing what we want, when we want, on a multitude of devices is clearly winning over the typical TV schedules which once blocked our prime hours. In addition to this, the choice of media has increased significantly. Today alternative content providers offer an amazing array of programming which can be directly streamed to your TV sets using OTT (over-the-top) devices.
OTT services can transform your living room into one true multi-platform environment by bringing in entertainment, convenience, and freedom to your fingertips.
4K Streaming Is Leading the Way
4K sounds quite high-tech and complex, right? But what does it actually mean? Simply put, it’s about resolution, one of the most common specs used to sell television sets. 4K refers to the 3,840 x 2,160 pixels that bring you superior visual quality. With two official consumer labels, i.e. UHD and Ultra HD, today 4K content is very well recognized.
What makes 4K resolution truly spectacular is that with the increasing use of large-screen TVs and video projectors, it provides a picture with visibly less pixels and is much more detailed than the standard HD resolution. One of the biggest differences between HD and 4K is the picture sharpness, meaning everything looks crystal clear and more lifelike.
OTT (Over-The-Top) - Basics
Over-The-Top or OTT was named originally in reference to devices which go ‘over’ traditional cable setups to provide users access to TV content. OTT does not use linear mediums like cable or broadcast providers to deliver content. Instead, it employs an internet connection via Wi-Fi. OTT can deliver TV and motion picture content like audio/video, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP), text, and other media through a streaming box.
Typically, OTT includes:
- OTT Video Viewers – People who consume video via any application or website which provides video content. Popular examples include Netflix, Zee5, SonyLIV and Hungama.
- Connected TV (CTV) Users– People who use TV sets linked to the internet through built-in internet connectivity, commonly called Smart TVs.
- Internet Protocol TV (IPTV) Users – People who use other devices which have similar functionality of a set-top box (STB), gaming consoles, or Blu-ray players.
- Linear OTT Video Service Users – People who subscribe to services which provide live TV channels over the internet for a monthly/yearly subscription.
While traditional linear TV continues to expand with new features and channels, OTT streaming technology and connected devices are also making their mark.
Here are a few reasons:
- See What You Like – Streaming through OTT means you watch only what you like and prefer.
- Flexibility – No more snatching away your prime hours. See what you like at any time based on your convenience.
- Personalized Experience – With technology getting smarter, OTT streaming delivers a more personalized viewing experience, as it understands what you like.
- Finest Viewing Experiences - You can experience the highest quality of video content i.e. 4K right from the comfort of your living space.
- Video Streaming Platforms– There are several video streaming platforms today. The most popular ones are Netflix, SonyLIV, Zee5, HOOQ, Hungama play, and YuppTV to name a few.
- Original Content – View content that is produced by OTT providers and exclusively available on their platforms.
- Compatibility with Multiple Devices – OTT content can be viewed from a range of different devices.
Ready For 4K? Get OTT
4K delivers brilliant picture quality, immersing you in the action with crisp, detailed images that practically jump off the screen. But, 4K TV owners are often dissatisfied viewing standard terrestrial channels on cable and satellite TV. It is important to understand that, 4K demands compatible 4K TV as well as 4K content. Currently, 4K is not available on all TV channels, but there’s plenty of it waiting to be consumed on popular streaming platforms.
OTT devices combine the full-screen environment of cable and satellite TV with the varied, interconnected opportunities afforded by the Internet. These serve as a channel for extending networks opportunities, and capabilities to your linear TV environment.
Next up you will want to keep in mind the specs of your TV. Not all OTT devices are able to handle 4K content and vice-versa, so if you have a 4K TV, you’ll need the one which can stream 4K content, like ACT Stream TV 4K.
Visit www.actcorp.in/streamtv4k for more details